J.P.’s goal is simple: to help families.

Family Law is a complex legal area. Issues often involve intense emotions and can be life-changing for the entire family. If you are involved in a divorce or other family law matter, it is important to have a Shreveport divorce lawyer on your side to advocate for the best possible outcome.

Jean-Paul “J.P.” Guidry provides comprehensive divorce and family law representation to clients in Shreveport, Bossier City, and all surrounding parishes of Northwest Louisiana.

J.P. provides personalized, professional service to clients from day one until resolution of their issues. His practice covers a wide range of family law matters, including:

  • Divorce
  • Legal separation
  • Child custody and visitation
  • Child relocation
  • Alimony
  • Spousal support
  • Child support
  • Property division
  • Modification of court orders
  • Enforcement of court orders
  • Prenuptial agreements
  • Post-nuptial agreements

Divorce, whether contested or uncontested, can be a complex legal process.  When children are involved, even an amicable divorce can become an overwhelming emotional battle.  When property is involved, it is important to take action to ensure that your future interests are addressed.

Although technically a divorce is a decision made and carried out between two people, the truth is that the choice to enter into a divorce will have a much wider impact.  Obviously, the effect on the couple’s children is the first concern.  But divorces also affect other relationships, such as in-laws, extended family, or friends.  It is impossible to deny the consequence divorce will have on your life.

Divorce is an extremely delicate area of the law.  You need a dedicated divorce lawyer on your side to help you navigate through the process.  The mishandling of a divorce case can have negative long term effects, and what could have been an amicable resolution could turn into a bitter and drawn-out courtroom battle.  With the help of a Shreveport divorce lawyer, your divorce or family law matter will be handled in a manner that can benefit your current and future interests as well as those of your family.

J.P. works to educate, negotiate, mediate or litigate to the best of his abilities to maximize his clients’ outcomes.  Call J.P. now.

Child custody and visitation are the most difficult decisions divorcing spouses will make.  J.P. can help you attain a workable child custody solution that meets your child’s needs.  His goal is always to protect the child’s best interests.

Divorcing parents must establish a child custody and visitation plan.  Parents often make an arrangement themselves, either on their own or with the assistance of their attorneys or a mediator.  And while every custody case is different, it is always better for the parents to agree to a custody arrangement rather than letting a judge decide.

Factors bearing on the Child’s “Best Interest”

  • Emotional ties – love, affection, and emotional ties between party and child
  • Ability to Nurture – capacity and disposition of party to give love and guidance, and to continue the child’s education and rearing
  • Ability to Provide – capacity of party to meet child’s material needs
  • Prior Relationship – length of time child has lived in stable and adequate environment, and the desirability of continuing that environment
  • Stability – permanence, as family unit, of existing or proposed custody home
  • Moral Fitness – moral fitness of party, as it affects child
  • Health – party’s mental and physical health
  • History – home, school, and community history of child
  • Preference of Child – reasonable preference of child, if old enough
  • Cooperation with Other Party – willingness and ability of party to foster child’s relationship with other party
  • Location – distance between parties’ residences
  • Past Caregiver – responsibility for care of child previously exercised by parties

The “best interests” standard is also applied in all post-decree custody and visitation cases such as modifications, relocation and enforcement.

J.P. is a Shreveport divorce lawyer committed to helping you achieve an effective resolution, and will represent any individual involved in a child custody matter, including mothers, fathers, grandparents or other interested parties.  Call J.P.

Divorced or unmarried parents run into situations where they require modifications to their child custody and visitation agreements.  While it is possible for parents to agree to a change without litigation, court approval is always required.

Under Louisiana law, a sole custodian, designated domiciliary parent, or a parent who shares equal parental authority of a child must notify the other parent of a proposed relocation of the child’s principal residence.  Notice must be made by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, 60 days before the relocation.

After notice is made, the parent seeking relocation must obtain court authorization, after a contrary hearing, or must get the written consent of the other parent prior to relocating.

If you want to move away with your child, and you fail to give your child’s other parent written notice, you will lose your relocation case in court. And failure to provide notice “may constitute a change of circumstances warranting a modification of custody.”  Do not make this mistake.  Call a Shreveport divorce lawyer for your family law matter.

J.P. represents parties on either side of a relocation request.  For parents seeking to move, he can make sure that your written notice meets all legal requirements.  For the potentially left-behind parents, he provides quick, responsive representation by filing a suit in family court.

If you are seeking child relocation, call a Shreveport divorce lawyer.  Call J.P.

In 1997, the legislature changed the laws governing spousal support (alimony).  The legislation redesignated alimony pendente lite as “interim periodic support” or “interim allowance,” and redesignated post-divorce alimony as “final periodic support.”  “Interim periodic support” was again redesignated as “interim spousal support” in 2001.

In a divorce proceedings (or after), the court may award interim periodic support or final periodic support to a party who is need of support and who is free from fault prior to the filing of a proceeding to terminate the marriage.

The purpose of interim spousal support is to maintain the status quo without unnecessary economic dislocation until a determination of the amount of final support can be made.  Fault is irrelevant in the determination of interim spousal support.

A court may award final periodic support to a party free from fault prior to the filing of a proceeding to terminate the marriage.  The award must be based on the needs of the claimant and the ability of the other party to pay.

A Shreveport divorce lawyer can help you to obtain fair amount of alimony or spousal support, and ensure that your rights are protected.  Call J.P. today.

In Louisiana, child support is determined by child support guidelines that take into account the each parent’s income, the number and ages of the children, and other expenses such as health care, education, or special needs.  A Shreveport divorce lawyer can tell you what to expect when it comes to child support.

Failure to pay child support can result in wage garnishment and other penalties.  J.P. also handles delinquent child support payments and child support enforcement issues.

A custody order is required for child support modification, even when divorcing spouses work out a oral agreement under special circumstances (e.g., temporarily paying less support when the noncustodial parent has suffered job loss).  These oral agreements do not supersede a court order.  You must get an amended custody order signed by a judge to prevent problems of back child support.

If you need help with child support issues, consult a Shreveport divorce lawyer.  J.P. represents clients concerning child support, child custody, and other family law issues.  Call J.P.

The property that you share with your spouse may come under scrutiny during a divorce.   You need an aggressive Shreveport divorce lawyer to ensure that you get the portion of the property that you deserve.

J.P. is dedicated to protecting your rights and securing your property.  He can also help you if your spouse is challenging any preexisting property agreements (community or separate) that you may have entered at the beginning of the marriage.  If you have community property issues, contact a Shreveport divorce lawyer.

Louisiana is a community property state.  That means that unless there is a prenuptial agreement or an agreement to have separate property, all assets and debts acquired during marriage belong to both spouses equally.  This division often results in a 50-50 split between husband and wife.

J.P. will work with you and any financial experts, including appraisers and private investigators, to ensure all financial considerations are taken into account.

The legal issues involved with property settlement can be very complex, at times more complicated than any other area of family law.  You need a Shreveport divorce lawyer on your side.  Call J.P. today to schedule your free consultation.

Prenuptial agreements have negative connotations for many people, who think of “planning for divorce.”  While prenuptial and postnuptial agreements do play a role during divorce, they should not be seen as a divorce-focused legal tool.  Instead, they should be seen as a means for protecting your assets and your children for the future.

One of the main reasons individuals use prenuptial agreements is to help classify and clarify types of property. For example, these agreements help to identify which assets are brought into the marriage, and thus should not be classified as marital property.

As Louisiana is a community property state, the classification of assets becomes extremely important.  If you do not identify which property you would like to keep separate, it may be become community property, and affect its distribution at the time of your divorce or your death.

If you are entering into a marriage with children from a previous relationship, you can take extra care to protect your children through the use of a prenuptial agreement.  Certain considerations include property identification and college funds.

A Shreveport family law attorney can assist you in creating agreements either before or after marriage.  We can discuss your goals, and create an agreement that meets your needs.  Call J.P.

If you are facing a divorce or fighting for custody of your children, or have any other family law issues, call J.P immediately at (318) 865-4878 to schedule a free consultation.  His office is conveniently located at 828 Shreveport-Barksdale Highway, Shreveport, Louisiana 71105.  He can discuss your case, help you understand your options, and make this time less difficult for your family.

Jean-Paul Guidry is a Shreveport divorce lawyer practicing family law throughout North Louisiana, including the following cities and parishes: Shreveport, Blanchard, Mooringsport, Greenwood, Vivian, Caddo Parish, Bossier City, Benton, Plain Dealing, Haughton, Bossier Parish, Minden, Springhill, Cullen, Webster Parish, Mansfield, Stonewall, DeSoto Parish, Arcadia, Bienville Parish, Ruston, Lincoln Parish, Monroe, Ouachita Parish, Coushatta, Red River Parish, Homer, Claiborne Parish, Many, and Sabine Parish.